Settle in with some popcorn and snacks to watch a few great films to celebrate Liberty and Independence this 4th of July! While not all of these films are family-friendly, you’ll find many that are, and some that will extend your understanding of what patriotism and liberty mean!
For our family, today is Independence Day. The day we officially threw off the shackles of a tyrannical government and became self-governed. We celebrate the institution of the Declaration of Independence and what our Founding Fathers meant to create. We remember the sacrifices made by men and women and families to bring these freedoms to us, and keep them sacred.
Yes, we join in the national celebration and eat hot dogs and watch fireworks with the best of them, but we also make it a special day to mark the remembrance of just what this day means – what this document means and pledge to keep fighting for it even now.
In this, we love watching movies that help us remember (even though sometimes they can be a tad-bit inaccurate), help us learn, help us never forget. Here are some of our favorites. Many of these are available on Netflix, Hulu and/or Amazon, and maybe even youtube for some of the older movies no longer available to rent/buy.
15 Great Movies for Independence Day
1. John Adams
3. Johnny Tremain – for the 8-13 crowd. I love this book and movie.
4. The Crossing
8. The Patriot
9. National Treasure (yes, inaccuracies abound, but it’s an adventurous film with the focus of what a treasure this document is – and it’s fun!)
11. Ben & Me – for the younger set.
12. Liberty’s Kids – a television series, but wonderful for the kids.
13. School House Rock (there are quite a few in this series that are great)
14. Saving Private Ryan – the continued fight for freedom against tyranny
15. Red Dawn – how could I have ever forgotten this on my original list?
And we’re leaving off many that show up on everyone’s must-watch lists, but these are our personal favorites that we love to watch.
• Need some books to read, instead? Try My Preparedness Library
Even More Patriotic Movies
So, maybe you’ve seen all the ones above, and want to branch a little further out … here are MORE great Independence Day Movies to watch!
Remember..the list is huge and I cannot possibly list them all (or have watched them on), and a majority of these films will be from an American perspective. If you have additions, I’d love to see what you’d watch for the 4th!
- Mr. Smith Goes to Hollywood
- Yankee Doodle Dandee
- Saving Private Ryan
- Red Dawn
- Independence Day
- Live Free or
- Die Hard – just because 🙂
- The Fighting Sullivans
- A Few Good Men
- Flags of Our Fathers/Letters from Iwo Jima
- Band of Brothers
Movies to support Liberty
And as the list above, the list is so massive I cannot include them all. But these are some that I have enjoyed and can suggest without hesitation. They may be unfamiliar to you or they may present a perspective that you don’t typically see in the mainstream American culture, but I do recommend them … and more!
- To Kill a Mockingbird
- All the President’s Men
- Born on the 4th of July
- V is for Vendetta
- Amazing Grace
- The Civil War (the Ken Burns edition)
- Fahrenheit 451
Your Thoughts: What are some of your favorites movies that you love to watch for Independence Day?
So gather your family, pop in a movie, make some popcorn, and have an awesome drink! I might suggest blueberry soda to match your patriotism! You can get the tips/recipes for both here:
Last update on 2021-10-18 at 02:17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API