"Prepping" is a term used by a lot of survival experts that basically means being prepared in case of an emergency. While there are many factors to prepping in general, survival is the ultimate goal. For the purposes of this article, we will be discussing a survival tent.
Want to know which survival tent would be the best to have in an emergency? Look no further! We have reviewed many different survival tents using a strict reviewing system and through that, we were able to determine which survival tents would be the best to have around in case of an emergency. All of these tents are also excellent for camping, hiking, and all outdoor adventures!
Here are the most commonly asked questions about a survival tent.
1. What Is a Survival Tent?
A survival tent is a tent that can be used in an emergency situation to protect you from the elements.
2. What Elements Make a Survival Tent Different from a Regular Tent?
Survival tents are going to have more weather protection than regular tents. They are usually more durable, lightweight and easy to get around with.
3. What Are the Most Important Factors to Consider?
The most important factors to consider when choosing a survival tent are the protection against the elements, the ease of transport, the ease of setup, and space. In an emergency, you are going to need to move quickly, so having a lightweight tent that's portable is a must, and of course, staying protected from wind and rain is essential.
How We Reviewed
Using a strict reviewing system, we took into account many factors that make a great survival tent. We took into account the price, the durability, the ease of assembly, the pros and cons of each tent, the warranty, and the weather protection. Using this system, we tracked down tents all over the internet, reviewed them, and listed only the best of the best. Our system is unbiased and because of this, we were able to determine which tents available on the market right now would make the best survival tents.
Overall Price Range
If you are thinking of purchasing a survival tent, expect to pay anywhere from $100.00 all the way up to $500.00. The price will vary depending on the quality of the materials used to make the tent, the quality of the construction, and the features that the tent itself has.
The higher priced tents will likely have more features and options with them such as more storage options and better weatherproofing and will likely be of higher quality. All of the tents that have made our top list are excellent choices. However, higher priced options may have better features and will likely last longer.
What We Reviewed
- Unique pole geometry optimizes headroom and fits three mats; adaptable rainfly allows for excellent views.
- Includes an MSR Elixir Footprint that allows for a lightweight Fast & Light setup with rainfly.
- Easy Setup: Freestanding system features color-coded poles, clips and webbing for fast and easy setup.
If you are looking for a survival tent that covers many basic needs, this is a great one. It sleeps 3 people and weighs only a little over 4 pounds, making it super lightweight and easy to travel with. And the setup of this tent is relatively quick and easy. The poles are color-coded, enabling a quick, stress-free setup that nearly anyone can do. The fabric panels offer good ventilation, privacy, and of course, warmth.
- 3-season, 2-person backpacking tent that offers the most livable accommodations in a lightweight freestanding design
- Pole geometry maximizes space with 29 sq. feet of floor area, interior peak height of 39 inches, plus 17.5 sq. feet of...
- Complete setup weighs 3.9 lbs. and packs down to 18x6 inches; minimalist setup option uses footprint, poles, and rainfly...
At only 3.5 pounds, this tent is easy to carry with you wherever you need to go. This 2-person tent is spacious and has two large side-entry vestibules that also provide storage for each person. The two large stay-dry doors have built-in rain gutters to ensure the inside of the tent will not get wet. This tent is flexible, allows for ample ventilation, and is incredibly easy to set up. It's a top quality tent that is highly durable, making it a top pick for a survival tent. There is also an option to open the top of the tent to stargaze.
- There's no assembly frustration with our Extreme Tent series; this free-standing, three-pole aluminum design is ideal...
- Polyester tent fly resists water and UV damage while adding two vestibules for extra storage space
- Increase ventilation with multiple fly vents and zippered mesh windows, on two easy entry doors
This high-quality survival tent is a 3-pole design, made with incredibly sturdy aluminum poles. The polyester material protects against UV rays as well as rain. The floor is factory sealed with fly seams that provide maximum protection against inclement weather conditions. There are two doors for easy entry and great ventilation.
This durable design is made to protect you from weather conditions and will last through the years. It's light, making it easy to carry and provides a surprising amount of space inside. There are even additional mesh pockets for extra storage.
- The Galaxi 2P comes with a coated ripstop nylon footprint to help protect its floor from abrasion; webbing stake-outs at...
- Features two large vestibules for gear storage and two doors, making entry and exit easy for all
- MagTie magnetic door tie-backs make rolling back your door and keeping it out of the way simple and easy
Not only is this survival tent practical and functional, but it also has a great look to it. The extra-wide vestibules make this tent ideal for larger users. Setup is quick and easy. It's made out of high-quality material that is also durable. It is spacious, has excellent ventilation and can be set up with or without a rain fly. Since it is made using high-quality materials, it is quite durable. It also comes with a repair kit.
- Material: [fly] 68D polyester taffeta, [canopy] 40D No-see-um mesh, polyester mesh, [floor] 68D polyester taffeta
- Capacity: 3-person
- Season: 3-season
This excellent tent has a gear loft for storage and is very spacious inside. There is a side vestibule that allows for even more storage to keep all your gear safe from the elements. The color-coded webbing makes setup very easy. The floor is waterproof and the windows are too.
This tent will give you full protection from weather elements, and it's very compact when packed, making it easy to travel with. Although a bit heavier than other tents, the space, breathability, and storage make it worth it. It comes with sleeping pads for added comfort and many seasoned campers have named this their favorite tent.
- Kelty Grand Mesa 2, this two person camping tent provides excellent value and performance for 3-season use, offers solid...
- Freestanding design is easy to move around for ideal campsite placement, Includes Stuff Sack and Stakes.
- Color-coded clip construction that eliminates the hassle of feeding poles through cumbersome tent sleeves.
Another great choice is this Kelty Grand Mesa Tent that is very durable and breathable. The setup is very easy with the color-coded clips and since the tent weighs less than 5 pounds, it's easy to carry on all outdoor adventures. It will keep you warm on cold nights and ventilates well for the warmer nights. You will have room to keep all your gear safe from the elements as well as enough space for sleeping pads. It has great weather protection and even the rain fly is easy to set up. It is so durable that it will last years.
- The TN2, 2 person camping and backpacking tent was awarded the 2014 Backpacker Magazine Editors' Choice and the 2016...
- Part of our TraiLogic Collection, the TN2 is loaded with useful features: shorter 14-inch aluminum poles for easier...
- TENT FEATURES: 3 Season rated, Freestanding design, DAC Pressfit poles, Color Coded Clip Construction, Taped floor...
This survival tent actually won an award from Backpacker Magazine for Outside Gear of the Year in 2016, so it is a great choice! It weighs a little over 4 pounds, making it very easy to carry no matter where you are headed. The poles are shorter than most and are easy to pack up. The features of this tent make it very easy to assemble and it has additional inside storage pockets for gear. The zippers are silent, which is a great feature.
This survival tent is made with top quality materials making it durable and long-lasting. This tent is a freestanding design with a bathtub floor designed to keep dry. It only weighs a little over 4 pounds, so it is easy to carry. Users also love how easy the setup of this tent is as well as how spacious it is inside. It will protect you from all types of weather, while also allowing enough room to keep your gear safe and dry, too. It's an excellent value for the price and looks great.
- AWARD-WINNING COMFORT - Based on the features of our best-selling, award-winning Copper Spur ultralight tents, the...
- A BETTER SHELTER - It's not all about the volume; 2 large, dual-zipper doors with discrete seams allow for easy entry...
- ULTRALIGHT STRENGTH - 4-way, high-volume hub design increases strength by 25% and the useable interior volume by 20%...
This tent is strong and long-lasting even in harsh weather. Users love the storm flaps over the zippers for added protection against rain. The floor is waterproof and there are interior mesh pockets for added storage. It has been called one of the best freestanding tents on the market by seasoned campers because of its quality and its ability to hold up even during very strong wind conditions. It's durable, lightweight and will keep you safe from the elements.
- There's no assembly frustration with our Zephyr Tent series; this free-standing, aluminum two-pole design can be setup...
- Polyester tent fly resists water and UV damage while adding two vestibules for extra storage
- Great ventilation with two mesh doors and entire mesh walls
This survival tent is very easy to assemble with pole clips that snap on almost effortlessly. All of the features of this tent provide superior weather protection, including incredibly high resistance to UV damage. The mesh walls will give you great ventilation and there's a good amount of storage for gear. It's lightweight and is made with high-quality hardware.
This tent is durable and will stand the test of time. Users say it's comfortable and spacious and provides great protection. The price is also a very strong selling point of this tent, especially for the quality.
Any one of these tents would make a fantastic survival tent. Depending on your budget and which features are most important to you, we laid out all the pros and cons. If you are looking for something that is incredibly easy to assemble, the ALPS Mountaineering Zephyr 3-Person Tent is a great choice. It's easy to assemble regardless of your skill level and is also lightweight.
If having ample space is a top priority, take a look at the Mountainsmith Morrison 2 Tent or the Marmot Limelight 3-Person Camping Tent. The Marmot Limelight 3 Person Tent is one of the most spacious tents available, leaving ample room to stretch out and store all of your gear.
Regardless which tent you choose, we are certain that any one of these will make for a great survival tent. All will keep you safe from the elements, be easy to carry with you no matter where you are going, and most of them are incredibly easy to set up. Every tent that made our top 10 list is perfect for camping, hiking and any outdoor activity. These tents will protect both you and your gear from the elements and all of them would come in very handy during an emergency!
Join Mom with a PREP as we prepare our families for life’s emergencies, one day at a time.