We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
How I use Pinterest to help me PREPare for my family. Creating helpful boards with tons of emergency preparedness and homesteading information has really helped!
I’m a visual person. I’ve always read tons to learn, but find that I’m visual in so many things. I need to see something done or see something organized before I can fully grasp it. That’s why Pinterest has been such a blessing to me.
Then Pinterest came along. What once started out as a site to share beautiful images as become a virtual image reference library. I can quickly ‘pin’ a page I love by the photo contained in the blog (since most blogs have now moved to include photos of the subjects), and I can quickly find what I’m looking for when I look at my Pinterest page. And I can categorize the same way I could create different folders for my bookmarks. It just works better for me in the format that I obviously organize things in my brain.
I love that I can pin all sorts of self-reliant ideas from gardening to home/organization to self defense to emergency preparedness to silly, geeky zombie stuff. I can find what I need easily, browse what other people have posted into the same kinds of categories, and follow other like-minded folks and learn from them. It’s a great reference tool to have.
Why not just use bookmarks on my computer?
In the past, saving bookmarks to my computer of places I wanted to go back and visit for reference was the way things had to be done. But I often looked down at the scrolling sea of text that were just links and would get lost. I couldn’t easily see what it was I was after, and spent way too much time searching.
Or, as what happened to me last weekend …. the electronics gods threw everything they had at me, and I had an electronics disaster. Three hard electronics failures that happened together made me lose all the bookmarks I had on my browsers for everything. No, there was no way to recover them. But thankfully, my Pinterest boards allowed me to keep my research in a safe place.
How I use Pinterest:
- Pin (bookmark) sites for reference in general prepping ideas, survival, defense and skills, food storage, gardening and home organization to help me learn more about prepping and a self-sufficient lifestyle.
- Create a wishlist of items we still need to buy or do more research on.
- Follow other like-minded people to get ideas. I’ve been able to find resources through Pinterest that I don’t find in my normal searching for info.
- When I’m ready to sit down and read a bit, I have my bookmarked sites ready for me to peruse at a time I can really pay attention and absorb.
My Top 5 Pinterest Boards:
- Emergency Preparedness/Homesteading
- Family Preparedness
- Dehydrating & Preserving
- Mom with a PREP Blog (My posts)
Click here to check out my boards.